History of Clichy-la-Garenne
Clichy, originally known as Clippiacum, was a Gallo-Roman settlement. In the middle ages, the area was still densely wooded and was used as a hunting reserve. The name "garenne” comes from the French word for wild rabbit.
From Childeric I to Philippe II Auguste, Clichy has often been mentioned in royal documents.
Although King Dagobert stayed in Clichy, the town did not directly benefit from that period in which the royalty spared no expense.
In the 18th Century, Clichy-la-Garenne inherited the pavillon de Vendôme, a reminder of the town’s hunting past.
The contemporary era, from the end of the 19th Century has seen both the dismemberment and expansion of Clichy.
The town’s territory has dwindled, mostly in Paris‘s favour with the 8th, 17th and 18th arrondissements gaining land, but new industry has brought growth. The laundry, glass, crystal and soap sectors were among the first wave of new industries. Having entrepreneurs in the town stimulated house building and the arrival of new businesses meant town planning was necessary.
At the same time, Baron Haussman’s work in Paris encouraged reorganisation of towns and created a major road network.
Lastly, the social hygiene and humanist movements boosted the construction of social housing. This trend was intensified between 1900 and 1940 when major roads were build to the west of the town. Alongside this, the town undertook strong political commitments such as the creation of council housing as early as 1922 and the inauguration of the Maison du Peuple. The major artistic movements of the first half of the century are present in the wealth and diversity of the architecture of that time. Although Art Nouveau and its penchant for curves, floral patterns and all things irrational did not make a lasting mark on Clichy, the same cannot be said for the Art Deco and Modern Art movements. Art Deco can be seen on the main roads that symbolise Clichy's expansion, such as the rue d'Alsace. The Maison du Peuple and the Beaujon hospital are both examples of Modern Art.
The architecture and layout of the town of Clichy in the first half of the 20thCentury shows the importance given to public services and of an ability to innovate on the part of the council, private landlords and architects. The latter designed some fundamental works.
Today, despite its expansion, Clichy still has the feel of a village and that makes it particularly attractive. Clichy is building its future while maintaining a good balance and remaining true to itself and its traditions. Through a housing policy that reflects its population, local management based on solidarity and prevention and many cultural and sporting activities, Clichy banks on being a town that keeps up with the times.