Goüin Hospital opened for its first patients on March 1st, 1897. The hospital, complete with surgical ward, dispensary and low-cost housing, was built by the Paris Philanthropic Society using funds donated by Jules Goüin, head of the Société de Construction des Batignolles.
These services were originally destined for his employees, before being opened up to the general population of Clichy. Goüin wanted to do charity work by setting up a hospital and dispensary in the town. The buildings are based on the work of architect Wilford Chabrol. The housing, 76 homes in all, was completed in 1895; the rents were intended to cover part of the maintenance costs for the hospital. The hospital was inaugurated in 1896, extended in 1927 and again in 1975.
Goüin Hospital is now a non-profit private healthcare institution, which has been helping to provide public hospital services since 1977.
Jules Goüin chose the Société Philanthropique, an Association founded in 1780, and recognised as being in the public interest in 1839, to run the hospital. The Société Philanthropique now manages social housing, students’ and young workers’ hostels, and around fifteen other social and medico-social organisations for the elderly, vulnerable women and children, and disabled children and adults.