Want some discount ?
In 1878, when the residential areas were still clustered around the church and along the rue de Paris, the town council decided to build its new town hall to replace a building developed by Paul-Eugène Lequeux in 1836. Located on the Paris - Argenteuil road (now Boulevard Jean Jaurès), there is a huge public square in front of it, offsetting the building and with shade provided by the 64 lime trees planted for the inauguration.
The imposing building was built according to plans by city architect and road surveyor Jules Depoix. The facade comprises 9 bays, with a majestic front section on the upper part of which the word "mairie" is written. It has an interrupted pediment decorated with reclining figures surrounding a clock, beneath an open-work cast iron bell tower.
The inside is also lavishly decorated, featuring monumental stone fireplaces, a neo-Greek style waiting room, a Louis XVI style wedding room and a Renaissance-style council meeting room. The painted decor of the wedding room was entrusted to Oscar Mathieu, while the central motif on the ceiling was presented at the 1878 World’s Fair before being installed.
In the early 20th century, as the town became increasingly built-up and industrialised, it became necessary to extend the Town Hall. This work was undertaken under the supervision of city architect and road surveyor Bertrand Sincholles, who also designed the bandstand and Pasteur school. He built symmetrical side wings as a front section, with French-style attics and two curved pediments, formerly decorated with sculpted motifs, which, sadly, were destroyed in 1960.
Inaugurated in 1907 by Mayor of Clichy Marie Emile Laruelle and French President Armand Fallières, the building is now a good-sized facility for a town the size of Clichy. Extending the town hall was an opportunity to create the mayor's office and the function room, now the council meeting room.The fresco decorating this room is the work of Eugène Béringuier – a pupil of Jean-Paul Laurens and Benjamin Constant, who worked on the construction of the Pantheon and the Sorbonne. The fresco depicts the vote on February 3, 1790 to elect the first Clichy town council.
In 1940, Emile Grittel (1870-1953) donated two ceramic vases with farming motifs to the town hall. They are on display in the grand staircase. The Clichy ceramics artist founded the Artists’ Society, which founded the Spring Salon in 1930. The town's fine arts studios are under his patronage.
In 1995, the car park in the Town Hall square was moved underground, making way for a pleasant public park.