Want some discount ?
The organ, presented at the 1900 World’s Fair, was built in 1899 using a design by Hector Guimard, an Art Nouveau master in France. It was built for the Paris Catholic cultural centre in rue Saint-Didier and was played by organist, pianist and composer Camille Saint-Saëns (1835-1921). The liturgical furniture was designed by Pierre and Véza Székély.
Following the lack of success of public concerts in the Humbert de Romans venue, the organ was dismantled in 1905. Père Martin, the organist at Clichy, negotiated its purchase (for 50,000 Francs) for the Saint-Vincent de Paul parish.
During works between 1968 and 70, the organ was exposed to dust and inclement weather and seriously damaged by a number of floods. It became totally unusable.
Listed as a Historic Monument in 1979 on the Additional List, the Ministry of Culture listed the instrumental part of the organ as a Historic Monument on December 4, 1984. An agreement for its restoration was signed in 1985 between the State, the council, the département and regional Assemblies. Restoration work was completed in 1993.